Ring devices use motion detection technology that activates when movement is detected within a certain distance of your device. Once motion is detected, you will receive a notification in your Ring app, and your device will start recording.
All Ring devices make use of Advanced Motion Detection, which lets you tailor motion detection for your home, increases accuracy and trims empty footage from recordings.
Smart Alerts let you choose whether your device records and sends notifications when it detects:
- A person
- Other motion
Consequently, if you choose to only be notified when a person is detected, you'll receive less unwanted notifications. This is a Ring Protect plan feature, only available to subscribers.
Motion zones in the Ring app
Motion zones allow you to define a specific area that you want your Ring device to cover while ignoring everything outside of that area. By selecting motion zones to cover only areas you want the Ring device to monitor, you can effectively monitor the area you want, as well as reduce the number of unnecessary motion alerts, such as cars driving by.
Customisable Motion Zones
Customisable Motion Zones are available with all Ring Video Doorbells and Security Cameras, allowing you a greater degree of customisation.
This system’s customisation options let you define up to three areas in the camera’s view to monitor. These motion zones allow you to define a specific area that you want your Ring to cover, while ignoring everything outside that area.
By drawing your motion zones to exclude high-frequency areas such as public paths and roads, you can reduce the number of "false positive" motion alerts (such as cars driving by) and greatly increase the effectiveness of your Ring device.
The image below depicts how custom ranges of motion detection can be drawn and selected.
My motion zones are active, but I am not receiving any alerts. What do I do?
If you are not receiving motion alerts, try the steps below:
- Verify that your camera is picking up motion.
- Review the ‘Event History’ on the dashboard to ensure that there is a record for motions that took place during that time.
- If there is no record, your Ring device didn’t capture an event during that time.
- Double-check motion settings using the above guide and ensure your motion zones are correctly set and optimised.
- Make sure your device is connected to wifi via the Device Health option in the Ring app.
- Verify there is no Motion Schedule enabled during the time of the event.
- You will see a clock icon next to your Ring device on the dashboard of the Ring app if there is an active Motion Schedule set to the current time.
If the above-mentioned solutions don't fix the problem, check the notification settings on your mobile device.
I keep receiving false alerts from my Ring device when nothing is there. What can I do?
- Check your Motion Zones in Motion Settings for your device to see if there is anything that may be triggering these alerts
- Is your Ring device’s Motion Zone covering a busy street? You may need to customise the zone to exclude an area
- Reduce your device’s Motion Sensitivity in Motion Settings
- Turn on Smart Alerts in Motion Settings, and change your settings so you only get a notification when a person is detected (Note: This is a Ring Protect plan feature)