You only need one battery for your Ring Video Doorbell 3 battery to work properly or to act as back-up power for your Video Doorbell 3. However, if you want extended battery life or don't want to experience any downtime while charging the battery, a second battery is available for purchase.
How do I recharge the battery for my Ring Video Doorbell 3?
Your Video Doorbell 3 battery is charged using a common micro-USB cable (an orange one is included in your Ring box). The micro-USB cable can be plugged into any USB power source such as a computer. Your battery will take around five to 10 hours to fully charge depending on whether the USB cable is plugged into a USB port or into a wall outlet.
Note: To maximize battery life, your Ring Video Doorbell 3 does not begin its automated recharging cycle until the battery reaches about 90%. That means that Ring Video Doorbell 3 units connected to solar recharging units or internal wiring will not see increases in battery percentages until the battery falls below 90%.
To charge your Ring Video Doorbell 3 battery:
- Remove the security screw below the doorbell faceplate, then press in the faceplate on the sides and carefully pulling it out and off.
- Remove the battery by pressing the release tab.
- Connect the orange micro-USB charger to the charging port in the battery. During charging both the red and green lights will light up.
- Your battery is fully charged when the light on the battery shines a solid green.
- Slide the fully charged battery back into the Video Doorbell 3 until it clicks in place.
- Place the faceplate back on by slotting it in at the top and clicking it into place.
- Your Ring Video Doorbell 3 will power up and be ready for use.