Ring Alarm is an affordable and comprehensive DIY home security system. Start with a Security Kit that includes a Base Station, Keypad, Contact Sensor, Motion Detector and Range Extender. Add components to meet your security needs and the size of your home.
Built to reduce crime, this customisable security system enhances the effectiveness of Ring’s doorbells, cams, and accessories. The seamless integration of Ring Alarm and the entire Ring product line through the Ring app protects homes from both the inside and out.
The following article answers some of the frequently asked questions regarding the Ring Alarm system.
What is the Ring Alarm system?
Ring Alarm is a DIY home security system for any house or flat. Ring Alarm gives you the option to enable 24/7 Ring Alarm Assisted Monitoring and is equipped with battery backup and cellular backup to ensure the system is always up and running, even if your power goes out or broadband is unavailable (with a Ring Protect Plus plan). Ring Alarm is simple, affordable security without long-term contracts or the need for professional installation.
Where is Ring Alarm available?
Within Europe, Ring Alarm is currently only available within the United Kingdom. Keep an eye on our official channels to find out when Ring Alarm will become available within your region.
Can I control my Ring Alarm system through the Ring app?
Yes. Ring Alarm is completely controllable through the Ring app.
What comes in the Ring Alarm box?
The Ring Alarm kit contains all the components you need to install and activate your new security system.
- Base Station: The Base Station is the heart of your system and connects your Ring Alarm security devices to all your Ring Video Doorbells, Security Cameras, and other smart devices. The Base Station monitors the secure sensors in your home in order to trigger burglar alarms. The Base Station includes cellular and battery backup to support sending alarms even if broadband and power go down.
- Keypad: The Keypad provides users with a physical interface for controlling their alarm system. The Keypad allows users to arm and disarm their system, view system status and receive visual and audio feedback regarding system status changes and events. The Keypad includes a rechargeable battery and AC power options so users have the convenience to place the Keypad on a tabletop or mount it on a wall.
- Contact Sensor: The contact sensor mounts to any door or window and monitors whether the door or window is opened or closed. Contact sensors are battery-operated with an anticipated 3-year battery life and can be set up with double-sided tape or using screws.
- Motion Detector: The Motion Detector watches for motion in an area or room. It observes motion by a passive infrared (PIR) sensor in a 90º radius. Motion sensors are battery-operated with an anticipated 3-year battery life and can be set up with double-sided tape or using screws.
- Range Extender: The Range Extender strengthens the Z-Wave mesh network and extends the signal from your Base Station to communicate with devices that are normally outside of its range. The Range Extender also has a battery to ensure Ring Alarm maintains its mesh network if the power goes down.
Do I have to purchase the kit or can I buy one piece at a time?
The Ring Alarm Security Kit contains everything you need to secure your home. The Base Station is not available as a separate purchase. You can purchase additional sensors, Motion Detectors, Keypads, and other devices to extend your Alarm.
Is the Base Station necessary?
Yes. The Base Station is necessary for the Ring Alarm to function.
I signed up for a Ring Protect Basic plan for a single Ring Security Camera. Does that plan cover Ring Alarm Assisted Monitoring?
No. Ring Protect Basic only covers a single camera. You will need to upgrade to Ring Protect Plus to get Ring Alarm Assisted Monitoring for your Ring Alarm security system.
How long will the battery last on the Keypad before needing to be recharged?
The rechargeable battery can go months between recharges with normal use. This is dependent on a number of factors in your home’s environment such as the local weather and the number of activities captured.
Where does the sound come from when the alarm goes off?
The sound comes from the Base Station and the Keypad.
How many decibels is the security system's alarm?
The alarm is 104 decibels, the equivalent to the sound of a motorcycle.
How many sensors can be used per security kit?
Up to 100 Z-Wave devices can be used per each security kit.
Will my pets set off my motion sensors?
No. The Alarm system has advanced motion sensitivity to prevent false alarms from pets weighing under 3.5 stone.
Do I have to sign up for the Ring Protect plan?
No. If you have not signed up for Ring Protect Plus your Ring Alarm system will still monitor your home, but any notifications will be sent to your smartphone and via email.
I already signed up for a Ring Protect Plus plan when I purchased another Ring product. Is the Assisted Monitoring plan for the Ring Alarm system a separate charge?
No, the Assisted Monitoring service doesn’t cost extra. Protect Plus covers both Assisted Monitoring services and video recording for existing and newly purchased Ring Video Doorbells and Security Cameras. Please note that Assisted Monitoring only covers one Location.
Can the Ring Alarm be connected via wifi or does it require an Ethernet connection?
The Ring Alarm can be connected via 2.4 or 5 GHz wifi or Ethernet connections.
What cellular network is being used for the cellular backup features of Ring Alarm?
Cellular network services for the Ring Alarm's back-up are being provided by AT&T and will connect to an appropriate local network in your region.
What happens if the power fails or I lose my internet connection?
The Ring Alarm comes with cellular (with a Ring Protect Plus plan) and battery backup systems that kick in if you lose your power or internet connection. The backup battery lasts for about 24 hours of operation.
Is the Ring Alarm system compatible with other devices?
Yes, Ring Alarm is currently compatible with a selection of devices, which can be found here. We will be adding compatibility with additional devices in the near future to make your home more secure.
Does Ring Alarm monitor third-party devices?
Ring Alarm only monitors Ring Alarm sensors.
Will professional installation be available for Ring Alarm?
Not at this time. The Ring Alarm system has been designed to be easy to setup and install and does not require professional installation.
Does this device have a Panic Button?
Yes. There is a panic option on the Keypad which triggers the security siren and Assisted Monitoring service (if enabled).