Setting up your Ring Video Doorbell 2 in the Ring app is simple. Simply scroll down for a step-by-step guide.
Fully charge the provided battery by plugging it into a USB port using the provided orange cable.
The battery is fully charged when only the green LED is lit.
Remove the battery from its charging place and ensure that the Ring Video Doorbell 2’s faceplate is off.
Insert the battery with the flat metal catch facing the front of the doorbell. The largest portion of this catch should be on the bottom.
When you have inserted the battery properly, you should hear a ‘click.’ This means the battery is properly secured.
If this is your first Ring product, you will be asked to set up an account.
To set up an account:
- Open the Ring app.
- Select “Create Account.”
- Follow the in-app instructions to create a new account.
If you already have another Ring device installed, simply open the Ring app.
Tap “Set Up a Device” then select “Doorbells.”
The QR code can be found on the front of the device, while the MAC ID is on the back of your Ring Video Doorbell 2.
- Point the camera on your smartphone at the QR code or MAC ID barcode on the back of your Video Doorbell.
- This code can also be found on the product packaging or on the Quick Start Guide that came with your device.
- Centre the code in the phone camera’s view at the top of the screen.
- Once the code is recognised, a green square (for QR code) or a green line (MAC ID barcode) will appear, and the setup will proceed to the next step.
Note: If you experience issues with scanning the QR code or MAC ID barcode, you can select “Set Up Without Scanning” and select “Ring Video Doorbell 2” to continue through the setup process.
If this is your first time setting up a Ring device, you will receive a request from your phone informing you that the Ring app wishes to use your phone’s location services to pinpoint your location. Allowing the app to do so will assist with inputting your address.
Enter your address information into the app, then confirm it.
If you have established a location previously, you can select it from the list of your locations.
Note: Without a specific location, certain features of your Video Doorbell will not work properly.
Select a specific name for your Video Doorbell 2 to distinguish it from other Ring devices on your account. You can choose one of the default names that are suggested, or you can enter your own by selecting “Custom…” at the bottom of the list.
Press and release the small black button on the front of your Video Doorbell 2. When there is a spinning white light on the front of your Video Doorbell, tap the “Continue” button in your Ring app.
iOS: Tap Join when the Ring app asks to join the Ring Wi-Fi network.
Android: Your device should automatically connect to the Ring Wi-Fi network.
If your device does not automatically connect to the Ring Wi-Fi network, or if you chose to continue without scanning in step six, please follow the steps below:
- Press the home button on your phone to leave the Ring app.
- Navigate to the Settings app, then tap Wi-Fi.
- On Android, you may need to navigate to Connection then Wi-Fi.
- Select the Ring Wi-Fi network from the list of available networks. The network will appear as either:
- “Ring-” followed by the last six digits of the MAC ID.
- “Ring Setup” followed by the last two digits of the MAC ID.
- Once connected, close your “Settings” app and return to the Ring app
Be sure you’re near your router and have your Wi-Fi password ready.
- Select your Wi-Fi network.
- If you have more than one Wi-Fi network, select the network closest to where you will be installing your Video Doorbell 2.
- Enter your Wi-Fi password and press “Continue.”
Note: After connecting to your Wi-Fi network, your Video Doorbell may update its internal software. While performing an update, the light on the front of your device will flash white. Once the light stops flashing, you know the update is complete and you can continue the setup.
Please do not attempt to ring the doorbell at this time, as it will further delay the update.
Once your Video Doorbell has completed its update and setup, push the front button to complete a test call. This will initiate your software and ensure your doorbell is ready to function.