Setting up your Ring Chime in the Ring app is simple. Simply scroll down for a step-by-step guide.
One - Download the Ring App
To download the Ring app on your mobile device:
Two - Create or Log in to Your Account
If this is your first Ring product, you will be asked to set up an account.
To set up an account:
- Open the Ring app.
- Select “Create Account.”
- Follow the in-app instructions to create a new account.
If you already have another Ring device installed, simply open the Ring app.
Three - Tap “Set Up a Device”
Tap “Set Up a Device” then select “Chimes”
Four - Scan the QR code or MAC ID barcode on your Ring device
The QR code or MAC ID can be found on the back or bottom of your Ring Chime.
- Point the camera on your smartphone at the QR code or MAC ID barcode on your Chime.
- This code can also be found on the product packaging or on the Quick Start Guide that came with your device.
- Center the code in the phone camera’s view at the top of the screen.
- Once the code is recognized, a green square (for QR code) or a green line (MAC ID barcode) will appear, and the setup will proceed to the next step.
Note: If you experience issues with scanning the QR code or MAC ID barcode, you can select “Set Up Without Scanning” and select “Chime” to continue through the setup process.
Five - Specify Your Location
If this is your first time setting up a Ring device, you will receive a request from your phone informing you that the Ring app wishes to use your phone’s location services to pinpoint your location. Allowing the app to do so will assist with inputting your address.
Enter your address information into the app, then confirm it.
If you have established a location previously, you can select it from the list of your locations.
Note: Without a specific location, certain features of your Ring Chime will not work properly.
Six - Plug in Your Ring Chime
Plug your Chime into a standard wall outlet near your Wi-Fi router. Once it is plugged in, the Ring logo on the front of your Chime will begin pulsing blue.
Seven - Name Your Device
Select a specific name for your Chime to distinguish it from other Ring devices on your account. You can choose one of the default names that are suggested, or you can enter your own by selecting “Custom…” at the bottom of the list.
Eight - Put Your Chime into Setup Mode
If you have never set up your Chime before, it will automatically enter Setup mode. Simply wait for the Ring logo on the front of your Chime to begin to pulse slowly, then press the “Continue” button in the Ring app.
If the Ring logo does not begin to pulse slowly, or if this Chime has been set up previously, press and hold the small button on the side of your Chime for five seconds. Make sure to keep your Chime plugged in during this process.
Nine - Connect Your Ring Chime to Your Wi-Fi
Be sure you have your Wi-Fi password ready.
- Select your Wi-Fi network.
- If you have more than one Wi-Fi network, select the network closest to where you will be installing your Ring Chime.
- Enter your Wi-Fi password and press “Continue.”
Note: After connecting to your Wi-Fi network, your Chime may update its internal software. While performing an update, the Ring logo on the front of your device will flash blue. Once the Ring logo stops flashing and lights up solid blue, you know the update is complete and you can continue the setup.
Ten - Connect Your Ring Device to your Chime Network
iOS: Tap “Join” when the Ring app asks to join the Ring Wi-Fi network.
Android: Your device should automatically connect to the Ring Wi-Fi network.
If your device does not automatically connect to the Ring Wi-Fi network, or if you chose to continue without scanning in step four, please follow the steps below:
- Press the home button on your phone to leave the Ring app.
- Navigate to the “Settings” app, then tap “Wi-Fi.”
- On Android, you may need to navigate to “Connection” then “Wi-Fi.”
- Select the Ring Wi-Fi network from the list of available networks. The network will appear as “Chime-” followed by the last six digits of the MAC ID.
- Once connected, close your “Settings” app and return to the Ring app
Eleven - Customise Your Alert Preferences
Select the Ring devices and types of events you would like your Chime to sound an alert for.
You can change when your Chime will alert you at any time by going to the “Linked Devices” settings for your Chime inside of the Ring app.