Setting up your Video Doorbell in the Ring app is a simple process. Scroll down for a step-by-step guide.
1. Download the Ring app
To download the Ring app:
- On your mobile device, go to the App Store (for iOS devices) or the Play Store (for Android devices)
- Search for “Ring”
- Download and install the Ring app on your mobile device
Or visit ring.com/app on your mobile device.
2. Create or log in to your account
If this is your first Ring product, you will be asked to set up an account.
To set up an account:
- Open the Ring app.
- Select “Create Account.”
- Follow the in-app instructions to create a new account.
If you already have another Ring device installed, simply open the Ring app.
3. Tap “Set Up a Device”
Tap Set Up a Device, then select Doorbells.
4. Scan the QR code or MAC ID barcode on your Ring device
You can scan the QR code on your Ring device or product packaging via the Ring app:
- Tap I’m Ready to Scan
- Point your smartphone camera at the QR code on your Ring device or product packaging
- Centre the code in the camera's view in the bottom half of the screen
- When the code is recognised, you will see a green square and a pop-up with your device image
If you experience issues when scanning the QR code:
- Move your camera closer or further from the QR code to help it focus
- Once your camera finds focus, hold it steady for a few seconds
- If your camera won’t focus, clean your camera lens, move to a well-lit area, and try again
If you continue to experience issues:
- Tap Other Options below the scanner
- Tap Can’t Scan the QR code
- Tap Enter code manually (this corresponds to PIN code digits underneath the QR code)
- Find your device in the list
- Enter your five digit PIN which can be found below the QR code
5. Specify your location
If this is your first time setting up a Ring device, you will receive a request from your phone informing you that the Ring app wishes to use your phone’s location services to pinpoint your location. Allowing the app to do so will assist with inputting your address.
Enter your address information into the app, then confirm it.
If you have established a location previously, you can select it from the list of your locations.
Note: Without a specific location, certain features of your Ring Video Doorbell will not work properly.
Click here to learn more about Ring devices and your address.
6. Name your device
Select a specific name for your Ring Video Doorbell to distinguish it from other Ring devices on your account. You can choose one of the default names that are suggested, or you can enter your own by selecting “Custom…” at the bottom of the list.
7. Put your Video Doorbell into setup mode
Press and release the orange button on the back of your Ring Video Doorbell. When there is a spinning white light on the front of your Ring Video Doorbell, tap the “Continue” button in your Ring app.
8. Connect to your Ring device
iOS: Tap “Join” when the Ring app asks to join the Ring Wi-Fi network.
Android: Your device should automatically connect to the Ring Wi-Fi network.
If your device does not automatically connect to the Ring Wi-Fi network, or if you chose to continue without scanning in step four, please follow the steps below:
- Press the home button on your phone to leave the Ring app.
- Navigate to the “Settings” app, then tap “Wi-Fi.”
- On Android, you may need to navigate to “Connection” then “Wi-Fi.”
- Select the Ring Wi-Fi network from the list of available networks. The network will appear as either:
- “Ring-” followed by the last six digits of the MAC ID.
- “Ring Setup” followed by the last two digits of the MAC ID.
- Once connected, close your “Settings” app and return to the Ring app.
9. Connect your Ring Doorbell to your Wi-Fi
Be sure you’re near your router and have your Wi-Fi password ready.
- Select your Wi-Fi network
- If you have more than one Wi-Fi network, select the network closest to where you will be installing your Ring Video Doorbell.
- Enter your Wi-Fi password and press “Continue.”
Note: After connecting to your Wi-Fi network, your Ring Video Doorbell may update its internal software. While performing an update, the light on the front of your device will flash white. Once the light stops flashing, you know the update is complete and you can continue the setup. Please do not attempt to ring the doorbell at this time, as it will further delay the update.
10. Test your device
Once your Ring Doorbell has completed its update and setup, push the front button to complete a test call. This will initiate your software and ensure your doorbell is ready to function.