If you’ve been having audio issues with your Ring app or a Ring device, when you’re trying to use Live View, the following troubleshooting steps should help you get your device and app back to normal.
If you’re having an audio issue, try the following:
- Check your mobile device to make sure that the external volume control is turned up to an adequate level to hear the person.
- In addition to the external volume control, there are audio controls in your device settings.
- If you don’t know how to check your device settings, search online for “audio controls” and the name/model of your device.
- Check to make sure you’re utilising the two-way talk feature.
- Make sure the microphone icon is enabled on the app screen.
- You can also tap the green button to talk.
- If you have a Ring Protect plan, check to see whether or not you can hear sound on a stored recording.
- If you do not hear sound on the stored recording check the external volume controls and audio controls in your device settings.
- If you hear sound on the stored recording go on to the next troubleshooting step.
- If you are on a phone call, that may interfere with the sound on some mobile devices, end the call and try Live View again.
- Turn off your Bluetooth connection in your device settings and try Live View again. Bluetooth might be interfering with your audio.
- Turn off your device for 30 seconds by either removing the battery or unplugging it. Then, put the power back on and try again.
- If you have checked all of these things and still cannot hear, the problem is most likely a problem with your wifi connection.
- If possible, remove the device from where it’s set up and move it closer to your router or move the router closer to the device.
- Do a test event and see if you can hear the person on the other end after you’ve moved the device/router.
- If your problem is a poor wifi connection, a wifi extender such as the Ring Chime Pro might help correct the problem.
- Check the strength of your wifi connection in Device Health:
- Open the Ring app.
- Tap the three lines on the top left.
- Tap Devices.
- Select the device you want to check.
- Tap Device Health.
- Check the RSSI wifi signal strength.
- If all else fails, you can try resetting your device. To do this, find the large black or orange setup button on your device and hold it down for 20 seconds.
- WARNING: This will reset your device and it will have to be set up again!
If you’re doing a Live View, make sure that your audio settings are enabled. The microphone icon allows you to speak and the speaker icon allows you to hear outside. When the icons are enabled (image on the left) they will not have a slash through them.
The example below shows a doorbell ring view from the Ring app. In order to enable two-way audio with the delivery person, you would need to need to tap the green button. If you activated the speaker icon on the bottom right, you would be able to hear the delivery person, but they wouldn’t be able to hear you.
Once you’ve activated the green button to speak, it will no longer appear on the screen. To end the conversation, tap the red icon. If you have a Ring Protect plan, you will see video of the interaction in your Event History within a minute or two.