If you're trying to set up a Ring Video Doorbell or Security Camera in the Ring app and the device appears to be registered to someone else, follow the steps below to get ownership.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Ring app to see if you can initiate the device transfer in the Ring app.
- If possible, ask the previous owner to uninstall the device(s) from their Ring app. Send them a link to this article so they know what steps to follow.
- Note: Ring devices must be removed in the Ring app. You cannot remove a device on Ring.com.
- Note: Cancelling a Ring Protect plan, physically uninstalling a device or deleting the Ring app does not release ownership. If the Ring app was deleted by the previous owner, they must reinstall the Ring app and follow the step-by-step process below and remove the device in the Ring app.
- If you have no way of contacting the previous owner, we can contact them on your behalf via email.
- When you go through the setup process in the Ring app, follow the prompts to request ownership. If you do not see the option to make a request, contact Ring Customer Support.
- If the previous owner has passed away, contact Ring Customer Support.
How to remove a Ring device from the Ring app so a new owner can use it
Remember to download any videos that you might want before you uninstall a device.
If you need to learn how to download videos, use this link to learn how.
To release ownership of a Ring device if you're moving, gifting or selling your Ring device:
- Open the Ring app
- Tap the three lines on the top left
- Tap Devices
- Select the device you want to release from your ownership
- Tap Device Settings
- Tap General Settings
- Select Remove this Device
- The device will immediately be available to a new owner.
- Complete this process individually for all devices that you want to release.
- Complete this process even if the device is still installed on a home, such as a doorbell you're leaving behind after a home sale.
Note: Deleting the Ring app or cancelling a Ring Protect plan does not release ownership of a device. Ring devices need to be removed from the Ring app individually, using a simple step-by-step process in order to release ownership.
If your relative or friend passed away and left a Ring device behind
There are certain legal requirements you will need to fulfill in order to transfer ownership of the account, devices or if you would like to recover any stored video recordings. Contact Customer Support and our team members will walk you through the process.