Ring Protect Basic is an optional plan that covers monitoring and video recording services for Ring devices.
With Ring Protect Basic you can save Ring videos for up to 180 days. This lets you check out alerts at your convenience even if you miss one and makes sure that your home is always protected.
Note: A Ring device is required to use Ring recording services.
The following article details some of the frequently asked questions concerning Ring Protect Basic.
How do I subscribe to Ring Protect Basic?
What are the features of Ring Protect Basic?
The following chart lists all the features that come with each plan:
Without a plan
Ring Protect Basic
Ring Protect Plus
|1-year limited warranty
|Real-time video with Live View||✓||✓||✓|
|Theft Protection 1||✓||✓||✓|
|Person Alerts (a notification when a person has been spotted)
|Rich Notifications (a photo preview of an alert without opening the Ring app)
|Video history for up to 180 days 2
|Video saving and sharing||✓||✓|
|Bulk download up to 50 videos at once
|Snapshot Capture 3
|10% off selected products at Ring.com 4
|Extended warranties for eligible devices 5
How do I redeem my 10% discount?
You can redeem your 10% discount by following these steps:
- Log in to your Ring account.
- Click on the Ring logo on the top left corner of the page to go back to the home page.
- Add your selection to your cart, and proceed to checkout.
- You should see your 10% discount applied on the right side of the page, near the total.
Note: You must log in to your account before you add a device to the cart.
Do I have to subscribe to the Ring Protect Basic plan?
No. The Ring Protect subscription is completely optional. If you do not have the Ring Protect plan, you will still be able to view the camera live, as well as use features like Motion Alerts and Two-Way Talk. You will not be able to access recorded videos without a Ring Protect plan.
What is a Ring Protect trial?
A Ring Protect trial is a 30-day period that begins when you set up a Ring Video Doorbell or Security Camera in the Ring app, unless you’re already a subscriber at the same location of the new device. During the trial period, you’ll have access to Ring Protect subscription benefits, such as the ability to review, save and share recorded videos to other devices.
When the 30-day trial ends, videos will be deleted unless you are already subscribed to a Ring Protect plan. To avoid losing access to your recorded videos and subscription features, make sure you subscribe to Ring Protect before your trial period ends. During the trial period, you may subscribe to a Ring Protect plan and you won’t be charged for your subscription until the end of the trial.
Does the Ring Protect Basic plan require any contracts or long-term commitments?
No. You can choose to cancel your subscription at any time.
Do I have to pay for extra tablets, phones or computers connected to a Ring device?
No. You can connect as many phones or tablets as you wish to a single Ring device.
What will happen to my recordings if I don't subscribe?
If you do not subscribe to a Ring Protect plan by the end of the trial, all recorded videos will be erased and new events will not be stored. You can still receive Ring and Motion alerts to your mobile device, as well as view Live View on demand on your Ring products without a subscription.
If I don’t sign up for Ring Protect plan, will I still get alerts?
Yes. You'll still get real-time alerts when visitors ring your doorbell or trigger the motion sensors of your security camera.
1. Terms and conditions apply. Learn more about theft protection here.
2. For Ring videos recorded after July 1, 2022 you can increase how long they are stored in the cloud up to 180 days (previously 60 days). Video storage defaults to 60 days, unless you manually change your video storage setting. Changing your video storage time will only affect videos that are recorded after you adjust your storage time setting. To change your video storage time, log in to your Ring account or open the Ring app and go to Control Centre. Learn more about video storage time.
To keep important videos beyond that time, download them to your PC or mobile device. You may do this from the Ring app or by going to Ring.com and logging into your account. You cannot download multiple videos via the Ring app, only at Ring.com. Learn more about downloading and saving videos.
3. Ring takes recurring photo snapshots throughout the day so you can see what is happening between motion-activated events (videos) in your event history timeline. These photos are stored in your account for up to seven days. To keep important photos beyond seven days, download them to your PC or mobile device.
4. The 10% discount on Ring.com is available for Ring Protect Basic and Plus subscribers and those on the Ring Protect trial. Shop eligible devices here. Terms and conditions apply.
5. For extended warranty coverage to apply to your Ring device, the device must be within its original warranty period when you subscribe to Ring Protect Plus. Once the original warranty expires, the device will be covered under Ring protect Plus until you discontinue your subscription. Non-Ring and other third-party devices are not eligible for the extended warranty.