Are there circumstances where my Ring device can lose connection to my network and what do I do if this occurs?
Yes, it is possible under certain circumstances for your device to lose its connection to your wifi network. This article will detail the circumstances where your Ring device can lose its connection and what to do if this occurs.
Why Ring devices can go offline
There are a variety of circumstances that can cause your Ring device to lose its connectivity. These include:
- A power surge causes a problem with your Internet router.
- You temporarily lose power.
- A wire in your router setup temporarily comes loose.
- You change your wifi network password.
- Your Ring device is suffering from low power due to a discharged battery.
It's important to understand that most of these circumstances are temporary. In most cases, as soon as the circumstances that caused the disconnect to occur clear up, your Ring device will automatically reconnect to the network. Very rarely though, your device will remain disconnected. That's when you should run through troubleshooting steps that check the possible sources of the disconnection.
Your troubleshooting routine
- Verify that the issues you are experiencing are the result of a wifi disconnect. To check your Ring device's internet connection, open the Ring app, select your Ring device, and select Device Health.
If your Ring device is offline, it will say "Offline" under the Network header.
- Check that all of your wires are properly plugged in and that all the lights on the front of the router are green.
- Check to see whether another wifi device is having a problem connecting to the network.
- Unplug your router for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. See if your Ring Video Doorbell automatically reconnects.
- If your doorbell uses a Quick Release Battery Pack, try removing and then replacing the battery. See if your Ring Video Doorbell automatically reconnects.
- Press the Setup button on your Ring device to put the device in setup mode. Wait 10 seconds, then press it again and see if your Ring automatically reconnects.
- If all else fails, check to make sure your device's battery is properly charged.