Introduction to motion detection
Customisable Motion Zones and Motion Alerts are some of the most useful features of your Stick Up Cam. The Ring app lets you determine both the range and sensitivity of your Security Camera's motion detection. You can also set the frequency of Motion Alerts.
Infrared (IR) motion capturing
The Stick Up Cam uses infrared motion capturing to detect motion within its field of view. You can use the Ring app to determine the Stick Up Cam's motion detection range and the specific zones where motion will trigger a smart alert. These settings help ensure that the Stick Up Cam will capture the events you want to see and ignore the ones you don't.
Setting motion zones and motion range
- To set the motion zones that your Stick Up Cam will capture, simply tap the zones you would like to cover.
- Use the motion range slider to set the range your Stick Up Cam will cover. Your Stick Up Cam can detect motion as far away as 30 feet.
- Save your setting by tapping the blue Save button.
Positioning your Stick Up Cam
It's important that you mount your Stick Up Cam in a location that will allow it to detect the motions that are most important to you, such as when people enter your property. For more help on positioning your Stick Up Cam, check out this helpful article.
Motion Frequency controls
The Motion Frequency controls (found under the Motion Settings in your Ring app) are used to adjust the Motion Frequency algorithm based on the individual circumstances of your monitored area. Motion Frequency controls have three settings that can be changed at will and are useful under a variety of conditions.
- Frequent: Your Ring device always stays active and will capture all events. This option has the shortest battery life.
- Regularly: Captures and notifies you about motions less often, taking a short break after each motion notification. This option has standard battery life. We recommend starting here if you are unsure of which option to choose.
- Periodically: Captures and notifies you about motion even less often, taking a longer break after each motion notification. This option has maximum battery life.