Ring Chime Pro extends your wifi signal to your Ring devices and also has a built-in chime that plays customisable tunes for both motion alerts and rings on your Ring devices.
To learn how to set up a Chime Pro and connect it to your Ring device follow the instructions below.
1. Download the Ring app and create a Ring account
- On your mobile device, go to the App Store (iOS) or Google Play
- Search for Ring Always Home
- Download and install the free Ring app on your mobile device
iOS (Apple) - To download the Ring app click here
Android - To download the Ring app click here
Note: You may need to create an iCloud account for iOS (iPhone) or a Google Play account for Android users.
Note: When you tap Create Account in the Ring app, remember the email address and password that you used and record it in a secure location, as you'll need it to log in to the mobile app and web app. Make your password at least 8 characters including upper and lower case letters, number and a special character such as a hash symbol (#) or exclamation mark (!).
2. Set up the Chime Pro
- On the Dashboard Screen (main screen) select Set Up a Device.
- You can also access Set Up a Device by tapping on the three lines on the top left part of the screen. A menu will appear on the left side of the screen with different navigation options, including Set Up a Device.
- Select Chimes.
- Scan the QR code on your Ring device or product packaging via the Ring app:
- Tap I’m Ready to Scan
- Point your smartphone camera at the QR code on your Ring device or product packaging
- Centre the code in the camera's view in the bottom half of the screen
- When the code is recognised, you will see a green square and a pop-up with your device image
If you experience issues when scanning the QR code:
- Move your camera closer or further from the QR code to help it focus
- Once your camera finds focus, hold it steady for a few seconds
- If your camera won’t focus, clean your camera lens, move to a well-lit area, and try again
If you continue to experience issues:
- Tap Other Options below the scanner
- Tap Can’t Scan the QR code
- Tap Enter code manually (this corresponds to PIN code digits underneath the QR code)
- Find your device in the list
- Enter your five digit PIN which can be found below the QR code
- Select the Location where you would like to set up your Chime Pro.
- If you already have Ring devices and you see the right address on the screen, select it by tapping on the circle to the left of the address.
- If you have not set up any Ring devices, tap Create a New Location.
- Important: If you see your address already listed on the screen, do not create a new location and enter your address again.
- Follow the prompts on placing your Chime Pro and tap Continue.
- Give your Chime Pro a name.
- Plug your Chime Pro into an outlet.
- Follow the prompts in the Ring app and wait for the light on the front of your Chime Pro to illuminate. Follow the prompts depending upon the response from your Chime Pro.
- Go to the wifi settings and on your mobile device (outside of the Ring app) and join the Ring Setup network.
- The Ring network is a temporary network that you will connect to before you connect to your home wifi network.
- After you are connected to the Ring network, you will be asked to select your home network name and enter your wifi password. Once you are connected to your home wifi network, you will no longer be connected to the Ring network.
- To connect your Ring device to your Chime Pro, follow the instructions and select the device you want to use with your Chime Pro.
3. Link another Ring device to a Chime Pro in the Ring app
- Tap the three lines on the top left of the Ring app and tap Devices from the menu on the left.
- Tap on the device you want to connect to the Chime Pro.
- Once you're on the screen with the device you have selected, tap on the Linked Chimes tile.
- Choose from the settings on the Linked Chimes screen to set your ring and/or motion notifications.
- Use the small arrow pointing right to get to the next screen to customise the sounds.
- Use the small blue arrow on the top left to navigate back to the previous page.
If your Ring app can't connect to your Chime Pro
- Go to the wifi settings on your mobile device.
- Tap on the Ring network name in the list of wifi networks to select it.
- You will only be connected to the Ring network temporarily.
- Press the back button on your phone to go back to the Ring app.
- Select your home wifi network from the list of networks.
- Enter your wifi password.
Best practices for wifi extenders
- For the initial setup of the Chime Pro, place it within a 6 metre radius of your router to ensure a successful setup. Once the unit is set up, move your Chime Pro halfway between the router and the Ring device.
- If your Chime Pro gets disconnected from wifi after you move it there may be interference or it might be too far from your router.
- You can also check the strength of your wifi signal called RSSI. An optimal connection is between -60 and 0. The RSSI signal strength can be found on the Device Health page of the Chime Pro. Click here to learn more about RSSI.
- If your Chime Pro has trouble re-connecting, then it might be due to interference. Some things that can cause interference include (but are not limited to):
- Materials such as stucco, brick or concrete.
- House appliances such as microwaves.
- Electronic devices such as televisions, game systems or wifi enabled devices.
- Please ensure your wifi can provide adequate upload speeds for your Ring devices through the Chime Pro. Chime Pro has a recommended minimum upload speed of 2 Mbps per device. Upload speeds significantly lower can lead to degraded video quality and other performance issues. Contact your internet service provider if upload speeds are insufficient.