All battery-powered Ring doorbells are charged using a common micro-USB cable (included in the box). The micro-USB cable can be plugged into any USB power source such as a computer or charging brick. Depending on how much charge your battery needs, this could take 6 to 8 hours.
- Only the Ring Video Doorbell (1st Generation) and Ring Video Doorbell (2020 release) are charged by removing the entire doorbell unit from the mount.
- All other Ring doorbells (Ring Video Doorbell 2, Ring Video Doorbell 3, Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus and Ring Video Doorbell 4) have Quick Release Battery Packs under the faceplates.
- If your battery-powered doorbell is hardwired or has a solar charger, it receives a trickle charge from those sources and may still need to have the battery charged.
How to check your battery charge in the Ring app
- Tap the three lines on the top left of the Dashboard.
- Tap Devices.
- Tap the doorbell you want to check.
- Tap Power Settings.
- Under Battery Status, you'll see Battery Level.
- Below Battery Status, you'll see Feature Power Usage. Feature Power Usage shows you the features that affect battery life. You can adjust the features you're using to optimize your battery life.
How to charge your battery
For Ring Video Doorbell (1st Generation) and Ring Video Doorbell (2020 release)
- Remove the security screws at the base of the doorbell and lift the doorbell up and away from the mounting bracket.
- Plug your micro-USB cable into the port on the back of the device.
- When the battery is fully charged, only the solid green light will remain on. Unplug the micro-USB cord and reattach the device to the mounting bracket using the security screws.
Note: For your safety, when reattaching the Ring Video Doorbell, use only the short security screws. Using any other types of screws could damage the battery and cause a potential fire hazard.
For Ring Video Doorbell 2, Ring Video Doorbell 3, Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus and Ring Video Doorbell 4
- Remove the security screws on the base of the faceplate.
- Gently squeeze the faceplate ridges on both sides and lift the faceplate off.
- Then, press the silver metal tab to release the battery.
- Connect your micro-USB cable to the charging port in the battery. Your battery is fully charged when the light on the battery shines a solid green.
- Slide the fully charged battery back into your Ring Video Doorbell. There will be a click when the battery is secure.
- Reattach the faceplate to the Ring Video Doorbell and secure it with the security screw.
Once you reinstall the doorbell or the battery, give your doorbell a test ring. This will reset the battery percentage in the Ring app.
Note: You will not see an updated battery status until your doorbell is reinstalled and it reconnects to your wifi network.
Important: Always be sure to use supplied security screws to fasten the doorbell faceplate. Using a wood or other type of screw may damage your battery and create a fire hazard. If you think you may have used the incorrect screw, please contact Ring Customer Support.