Setting up your Ring Video Doorbell Elite in the Ring app is simple. Simply scroll down for a step-by-step guide.
1. Download the Ring app
To download the Ring app:
- On your mobile device, go to the App Store (for iOS devices) or the Play Store (for Android devices)
- Search for “Ring”
- Download and install the Ring app on your mobile device
Or visit ring.com/app on your mobile device.
2. Create or log in to your account
If this is your first Ring product, you will be asked to set up an account to manage your devices.
To set up an account:
- Open the Ring app
- Select “Create Account”
- Follow the in-app instructions to create a new account
If you already have another Ring device installed, simply open the Ring app.
3. Tap “Setup Device’
- Tap Setup Device
- Select Doorbells
4. Scan the QR code or MAC ID barcode on your Ring device
The QR code can be found on the front of the device, while the MAC ID is on the back of your Video Doorbell Elite.
- Point the camera on your smartphone at the QR code or MAC ID barcode on your Video Doorbell
- This code can also be found on the product packaging or on the Quick Start Guide that came with your device
- Centre the code in the phone camera’s view at the top of the screen
- Once the code is recognised, a green square (for QR code) or a green line (MAC ID barcode) will appear, and the setup will proceed to the next step
Note: If you experience issues with scanning the QR code or MAC ID barcode, you can select “Set Up Without Scanning” and select “Ring Video Doorbell Elite” to continue through the setup process.
5. Specify your location
If this is your first time setting up a Ring device, you will receive a request from your phone asking you to allow the Ring app to use your phone’s location services to pinpoint your location. Allowing the app to do so will assist with inputting your address.
Enter your address information into the app, then confirm it.
If you have established a location previously, you can select it from the list of your locations.
Note: Without a specific location, certain features of your Video Doorbell will not work properly.
6. Name your device
Select a specific name for your Video Doorbell Elite to distinguish it from other Ring devices on your account. You can choose one of the default names that are suggested, or you can enter your own by selecting “Custom…” at the bottom of the list.
7. Follow the physical installation steps in the Ring app
If you have already physically installed your Ring Video Doorbell Elite, tap “Yes” when the Ring app asks “Is Ring Doorbell Elite installed?.” Otherwise, tap “No”, and follow the steps in the Ring app to physically install your Video Doorbell.
If you have an existing internal doorbell, select whether it is a mechanical or digital doorbell, or select “None” if you are installing your Video Doorbell without connecting to an internal doorbell.
8. Select how your Video Doorbell Elite will connect to the internet
Your Ring Video Doorbell Elite can connect to the internet in two different ways:
Because your Ring Video Doorbell Elite is already using an Ethernet connection to power itself, most Neighbours choose to use this as their internet connection. An Ethernet connection cuts down on delays and can be more stable than a wifi connection.
If you would prefer to connect to the wifi in your home, you may do so by simply selecting “Wi-Fi” instead of “Ethernet.”
9. Put your Video Doorbell Elite into Setup Mode
Press and release the small black button in the top right corner on the front of your Video Doorbell Elite. When there is a spinning white light on the front of your Video Doorbell, tap the “Continue” button in your Ring app.
10. Connect to your Ring device
For the next step, your phone or tablet will need to connect to the wifi network called “Ring-.”
If you’re on an Android device, this step should happen automatically.
On an iPhone or iPad, follow the instructions below:
- Press the Home button on your iPhone or iPad to leave the Ring app.
- Navigate to the Settings app.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Select the network from the list that begins with “Ring-.”
- Close your Settings App and return to the Ring App.
11. Connect your Video Doorbell Elite to your wifi network
Be sure you have your wifi password ready.
- Select your wifi network
- If you have more than one wifi network, select the network closest to where you have installed your Video Doorbell Elite
- Enter your wifi password and press “Continue”
Note: After connecting to your wifi network, your Ring Video Doorbell Elite may update its internal software. While performing an update, the light on the front of your device will flash white. Once the light stops flashing, you know the update is complete and you can continue the setup. Please do not attempt to ring the doorbell at this time, as it will further delay the update.
12. Test your device
Once your Video Doorbell Elite has completed its update and setup, push the front button to complete a test call. This will initiate your software and ensure your doorbell is ready to function.