Ring Protect is an optional subscription service that allows video recordings from your Ring devices to be saved in your Ring account. Without Ring Protect, you can access Live View on your doorbells and cameras and answer doorbell notifications when they happen, but you will not get video recordings of these events.
You can subscribe to the Ring Protect Basic plan or Ring Protect Plus plan on a monthly or yearly basis. Ring Protect Basic covers devices individually. Ring Protect Plus covers all devices at the same location. Ring Protect Plus also has some additional benefits (see the comparison chart below).
Ring Protect plans let you save videos for up to 30 days. You can check out notifications at your convenience and download or share videos.
Note: At least one Ring device installed on the Ring app is required to use Ring recording services.
How do I subscribe to Ring Protect?
You can subscribe by logging into your account on the website and going to My Plans under the top right menu or click on the Subscribe button below.
What are the differences between the Ring Protect Basic and Ring Protect Plus plans?
There are four main differences between the Ring Basic plan and the Protect Plus plan to consider. The differences are listed below to help you decide which plan is best for your needs.
1. Number of devices covered
- Protect Plus - covers unlimited Ring devices at one location.
- Protect Basic - covers a single camera or doorbell or device. For example, if you have one Spotlight Cam and one Video Doorbell, you would have to subscribe to a Ring Protect Basic plan for each device.
2. Device warranty
- Protect Plus - includes an extended warranty which will extend your device's original warranty. Once the original warranty expires, the device will be covered under Ring Protect Plus until you discontinue your subscription.
- Protect Basic - includes one year manufacturer's warranty from the purchase date of the device. The standard warranty does not require a Ring Protect plan subscription.
3. Ring.com discount - 10% off on selected Ring products only at Ring.com with a paid subscription to Ring Protect Plus or those on a Ring trial subscription. Discount not available at any other retailers.
The following chart lists all the features that come with each plan:
Without a plan
Ring Protect Basic
A$5.95/month or A$59.95/year
Ring Protect Plus
A$15/month or A$150/year
|Real-time video with Live View||✓||✓||✓|
|Theft Protection 1||✓||✓||✓|
|Video history for 30 days 2||✓||✓|
|Video saving and sharing||✓||✓|
|Snapshot Capture 3
|Extended warranties for all devices 4||✓|
|10% off select products at Ring.com 5||✓|
1. Terms and conditions apply. Learn more about Theft protection here.
2. Your Ring videos are stored in the cloud for up to 60 days in Australia and New Zealand.
To keep important videos beyond that time, download them to your PC or mobile device. You may do this from the Ring app or by going to Ring.com and logging into your account
3. Ring takes recurring photo snapshots throughout the day so you can see what is happening between motion-activated events (videos) in your event history timeline. These photos are stored in your account for up to seven days. To keep important photos beyond seven days, download them to your PC or mobile device.
4. For extended warranty coverage to apply to your Ring device, the device must be within its original warranty period when you subscribe to Ring Protect Plus. Once the original warranty expires, the device will be covered under Ring protect Plus until you discontinue your subscription. Non-Ring and other third-party devices are not eligible for the extended warranty.
5. The 10% discount on ring.com activates for Ring protect Plus subscribers and those on the Ring Protect trial. Shop eligible devices here. Terms and conditions apply. See Ring Protect Subscription Plans for more information.
I am a Protect Plus subscriber, how do I redeem my discount?
Log in at Ring.com before shopping to have discount apply to your account. Discounts are not available on all Ring products.
What are the terms of the 10% discount?
The following lists the terms of the 10% discount:
- Discount cannot be combined with other offers/discounts or sale prices and are only available at Ring.com.
- Discount isn't available for regional Amazon sites outside of the US.
- Discount applies to customers with Ring Protect Plus subscription or trial at the time of purchase.
- Discount applies to customers in Australia and New Zealand. It does not apply to customers in Asia.
- While you are using an eligible trial plan the 10% discount will apply subject to these terms and conditions.
- Discount does not apply retroactively to purchases made prior to subscribing to an eligible plan.
- Discount may not be combined with other offers (e.g. including but not limited to Cyber Monday, Black Friday, military, teacher and emergency services promotions).
- Discount is non-transferable.
- You cannot subscribe to Ring Protect Plus and use the 10% discount in the same transaction. Discount applies upon the next login session after subscribing. To use the discount immediately, log out of your account and log back in.
- Customers must be logged in to use the discount on Ring.com during checkout.
- We reserve the right to change or waive enforcement of any portion of these terms without notice.
Do I have to subscribe to a Ring Protect plan?
No. A Ring Protect plan subscription is completely optional. However, without the service,, you will not be able to record or review videos captured by your Video Doorbell or Security Camera.
Is there a trial for Ring Protect?
Yes. Your 30-day trial subscription begins as soon as you set up your new Ring product in your Ring app.
What happens if I purchase a Ring Protect plan during my 30-day trial and then cancel it during that same 30-day trial?
If you cancel a Ring Protect plan you have purchased during a trial, you will continue to enjoy the benefits of the Ring Protect trial (including video storage and retention) until your 30-day trial is over.
Does Ring Protect require any contracts or long-term commitments?
No. You can choose to cancel your subscription at any time.
Do I have to pay for extra smartphones or tablets connected to a Ring device?
No. You can connect as many phones or tablets as you wish to a single Ring device.
What will happen to my recordings if I don't subscribe?
You can still receive calls, notifications and Live View from your Ring products without a Ring Protect subscription. If you do not subscribe to a Ring Protect plan by the end of the trial, all recorded videos will be erased and new events will not be stored. Ring does not store any videos if you are not subscribed to a Ring Protect plan.
If I don't sign up for Ring Protect plan, will I still get alerts?
Yes. You'll still get real-time alerts when visitors ring your doorbell or trigger motion sensors.
If I upgrade from Basic to Plus, how will I be charged?
You will receive a prorated refund for any amount left on your Basic annual plan. The Plus plan will be charged immediately and you will begin a new billing cycle.
If I add a new device to my account on Ring Protect Basic how will I be charged?
When you add a new device to your account on Ring Protect Basic, you will be charged a prorated rate for the remaining difference in days between your new product's inception date and the old product's billing date. That's to get them on the same day billing cycle.
My payment for the Ring Protect plan failed four times and now I cannot access my videos, even though I have now updated the system with a new credit card.
If after 14 days and three email contacts, all payment attempts fail, the subscription is cancelled and both recordings and Assisted Monitoring are halted. This means that videos will be lost and unable to be recovered.
If I group my Ring devices into multiple locations, does my Ring Protect plus cover the devices in all of the locations, or do I need separate plans?
Ring Protect Plus is only good for one geographic location. Therefore, if you have Ring devices registered in different locations (say your home and your place of business) you'll need a separate Ring Protect plan for each location.