Ring Protect is an optional subscription that gives you access to paid features for Ring Video Doorbells and Security Cameras. With Ring Protect you can save, review and share video recordings from your Ring devices to your Ring account. Without Ring Protect, you can still view real time video for Ring doorbells and cameras and answer doorbell notifications when they happen, but you don’t get video recordings of these events.
You can subscribe to the Ring Protect Basic plan or Ring Protect Plus plan on a monthly or yearly basis. Ring Protect Basic covers devices individually. Ring Protect Plus covers all devices at the same location. Ring Protect Plus also has some additional benefits (see the comparison chart below).
For Ring videos recorded after July 1, 2022 you can increase how long they are stored in the cloud up to 180 days (previously 60 days, which is still the default video storage time).
Note: At least one Ring device installed on the Ring app is required to use Ring recording services.
To learn more about Ring Security Cameras, click here.
To learn more about Ring Video Doorbells, click here.
How do I subscribe to Ring Protect?
You can subscribe by logging into your account on Ring.com and going to My Plans under the top right menu or click on the Subscribe button below.
What are the differences between the Ring Protect Basic and Ring Protect Plus plans?
There are three main differences between the Ring Basic plan and the Protect Plus plan to consider. The differences are listed below to help you decide which plan is best for your needs.
1. Number of devices covered
- Protect Basic - covers a single camera or doorbell or device. For example, if you have one Spotlight Cam and one Video Doorbell, you would have to subscribe to a Ring Protect Basic plan for each device.
- Protect Plus - covers unlimited Ring devices at one location.
2. Device warranty
- Protect Basic - includes one year manufacturer's warranty from the purchase date of the device. The standard warranty does not require a Ring Protect plan subscription.
- Protect Plus - includes an extended warranty which will extend your device's original warranty. Once the original warranty expires, the device will be covered under Ring Protect Plus until you discontinue your subscription.
The following chart lists all the features that come with each plan:
Without a plan
Ring Protect Basic
Ring Protect Plus
|1-year limited warranty
|Real-time video with Live View||✓||✓||✓|
|Theft Protection 1||✓||✓||✓|
|Person Alerts (a notification when a person has been spotted)
|Rich Notifications (a photo preview of an alert without opening the Ring app)
|Video history for up to 180 days 2
|Video saving and sharing||✓||✓|
|Bulk download up to 50 videos at once
|Snapshot Capture 3
|10% off selected products at Ring.com 4
|Extended warranties for eligible devices 5
I am a Protect subscriber, how do I redeem my discount?
Log in at Ring.com before shopping to have discount apply to your account. Discounts are not available on all Ring products.
What are the terms of the 10% discount?
The following lists the terms of the 10% discount:
- Discount applies to customers with Ring Protect Basic or Plus subscription or trial at the time of purchase. It does not apply retroactively, meaning you can’t buy a device and then subscribe to Ring Protect Basic or Plus and retroactively apply the discount.
- Discount may not be combined with other offers (e.g. including but not limited to Cyber Monday, Black Friday, military, teacher and emergency services promotions).
- The discount is not transferable, may not be resold and has no cash alternative.
- Discount applies to customers within the UK, EU, Australia, New Zealand, US or Canada. It does not apply to customers in the Middle East and Africa.
- Discount only available at Ring.com. It applies to all Ring cameras, doorbells, accessories and multipacks.
- The discount isn't available for regional Amazon sites outside of the US.
- You cannot subscribe to Ring Protect Basic or Plus and use the 10% discount in the same transaction.
- You must be logged into your account to use the discount at Ring.com during checkout. The discount applies upon the next login session after purchase of Ring Protect Basic or Plus. To use the discount immediately, log out of your account and log back in.
- The email used to subscribe to your Ring Protect plan must be used on checkout.
- We reserve the right to change or waive enforcement of any portion of these terms without notice.
Do I have to subscribe to a Ring Protect plan?
No. A Ring Protect plan subscription is completely optional. However, without the service, you will not be able to record or review videos captured by your Video Doorbell or Security Camera.
What is a Ring Protect trial?
A Ring Protect trial is a 30-day period that begins when you set up a Ring Video Doorbell or Security Camera in the Ring app, unless you’re already a subscriber at the same location of the new device. During the trial period, you’ll have access to Ring Protect subscription benefits, such as the ability to review, save and share recorded videos to other devices.
When the 30-day trial ends, videos will be deleted unless you are already subscribed to a Ring Protect plan. To avoid losing access to your recorded videos and subscription features, make sure you subscribe to Ring Protect before your trial period ends. During the trial period, you may subscribe to a Ring Protect plan and you won’t be charged for your subscription until the end of the trial.
What happens if I purchase a Ring Protect plan during my 30-day trial and then cancel it during that same 30-day trial?
If you cancel a Ring Protect plan you have purchased during a trial, you will continue to enjoy the benefits of the Ring Protect trial (including video storage and retention) until your 30-day trial is over.
Does Ring Protect require any contracts or long-term commitments?
No. You can choose to cancel your subscription at any time.
Does Ring Protect automatically renew?
Yes. Once purchased, your subscription will automatically renew and continue until you choose to cancel it, which you can do anytime from your account on Ring.com. Learn how to cancel your Ring Protect plan.
Do I have to pay for extra smartphones or tablets connected to a Ring device?
No. You can connect as many phones or tablets as you wish to a single Ring device.
What will happen to my recordings if I don't subscribe?
You can still receive calls, notifications and Live View from your Ring products without a Ring Protect subscription. If you do not subscribe to a Ring Protect plan by the end of the trial, all recorded videos will be erased and new events will not be stored. Ring does not store any videos if you are not subscribed to a Ring Protect plan.
If I don't sign up for Ring Protect plan, will I still get alerts?
Yes. You'll still get real-time alerts when visitors ring your doorbell or trigger motion sensors.
If I upgrade from Basic to Plus, how will I be charged?
You will receive a prorated refund for any amount left on your Basic plan. The Plus plan will be charged immediately and you will begin a new billing cycle.
If I add a new device to my account on Ring Protect Basic how will I be charged?
When you add a new device to your account on Ring Protect Basic, you will be charged a prorated rate for the remaining difference in days between your new product's inception date and the old product's billing date. That's to get them on the same day billing cycle.
My payment for the Ring Protect plan failed four times and now I cannot access my videos, even though I have now updated the system with a new credit card.
If after 14 days and three email contacts, all payment attempts fail, the subscription is cancelled and recordings are halted. This means that videos will be lost and unable to be recovered.
If I group my Ring devices into multiple locations, does my Ring Protect Plus cover the devices in all of the locations, or do I need separate plans?
Ring Protect Plus is only good for one geographic location. Therefore, if you have Ring devices registered in different locations (say your home and your place of business) you'll need a separate Ring Protect plan for each location.
1. Terms and conditions apply. Learn more about theft protection here.
2. For Ring videos recorded after July 1, 2022 you can increase how long they are stored in the cloud up to 180 days (previously 60 days). Video storage defaults to 60 days, unless you manually change your video storage setting. Changing your video storage time will only affect videos that are recorded after you adjust your storage time setting.
To change your video storage time, log in to your Ring account or open the Ring app and go to Control Centre. Learn more about video storage time.
To keep important videos beyond that time, download them to your PC or mobile device. You may do this from the Ring app or by going to Ring.com and logging into your account. You cannot download multiple videos via the Ring app, only at Ring.com.
3. Ring takes recurring photo snapshots throughout the day so you can see what is happening between motion-activated events (videos) in your event history timeline. These photos are stored in your account for up to seven days. To keep important photos beyond seven days, download them to your PC or mobile device.
4. The 10% discount on Ring.com is available for Ring Protect Basic and Plus subscribers and those on the Ring Protect trial. Shop eligible devices here. Terms and conditions apply.
5. For extended warranty coverage to apply to your Ring device, the device must be within its original warranty period when you subscribe to Ring Protect Plus. Once the original warranty expires, the device will be covered under Ring protect Plus until you discontinue your subscription. Non-Ring and other third-party devices are not eligible for the extended warranty.
Learn more and compare Ring Protect Basic and Plus subscription plans.